Friday, October 3, 2014

Not-So-Spooky Salem #3: The Engine House

Aaaaand i'm back! Sorry, I was a way for a few days. I was ::ahem:: a little busy this weekend:


But more on that later ;). For now, let's get back to business, shall we? 

When I was in my late teens,  I started coming to Salem more regularly on my own. Some of my fondest trips were spent going to Harrison's (which i'll talk about in a later post) with one of my good friends at the time, picking up some comics and then heading on over to the best pizza place in town for lunch. The two of us would walk in, order a large extra cheese pizza and some pepsi's and read the comics we just picked up. At the end of each trip, we would generally leave only one lonely slice of greasy deliciousness left on the tray. Two 19-year-old, 110lb, 5'2" white girls would just gorge themselves on pizza and walk away leaving the staff stunned. How in the hell did we eat all that pizza and stay so damn small?  Ahhh, those were the days of awesome teenage metabolisms. It'll probably catch up to me in my old age but i'll be fat and happy and full of awesome pizza, dammit! To this day, I don't think I've ever had a more delicious pizza than at The Engine House on Derby Street.


(photo credit to the Engine House website!)

Now don't get me wrong, I truly believe there is no such thing as a bad piece of pizza. Even if it's mediocre store-bought frozen pizza. There's something about the combination of pizza dough,sauce, cheese and whatever topping you could possibly want that's just a delectable fiesta when it hits your palate! Am I wrong? And nobody seems to do that better than the Engine House. Maybe it's the mix of spices they use, or the cheese blend or the sweet sauce but the end result is absolutely to die for. It even brings back fond childhood memories for Yeti! He's a South Shore native having grown up down in Dorchester so when I first brought him to Engine House, he was quite surprised when what he tasted was very similar to a place he used to order from with his family called Roy's. He was so excited to finally find a place of comparable taste! I think that's when I knew it was true love ;).  

The only problem I've ever had with the place was that they don't deliver too far outside of Salem which is understandable. They're not a chain after all but I think that adds to their charm.The pizza where we used to live in Medford was just o.k.. Did we drive up to Salem just for pizza sometimes?  Yes. Yes we did.  And it's that drawing power that always kept me coming back! Of course now that we're residents, we just have to walk out our front door and down the street. But you might find if you give Engine House a try, it may not be your cup of tea. There are plenty of other options throughout the city! There's Damatas, Georgia's, Mandees, The Flying Saucer, Salem House Of Pizza, the list goes on! Find your flavor here in Salem. There's something for everyone :)

I'll leave you today with a fun fact about Engine House to pique your curiousity though. Horror fans will no doubt recognize the joint as one of the locations used for filming in Rob Zombie's latest film "Lords Of Salem". But no need to worry, there's no threat of the Lords coming back to town anytime soon ;). Unless they want really great pizza of course! 





No comments:

Post a Comment