Thursday, October 9, 2014

Not-So-Spooky Salem #5: Salem Willows

Any regular reader of this blog knows that this post was a long time coming. In fact, I'm sure a lot of you were wondering when this was going to pop up.I'm actually kind of surprised by that as well. I think maybe I wanted to showcase some of Salem's other offerings before I immediately began gushing about my favorite place in the entire world. For anyone who HASN'T been following this blog regularly that place is the one and only Salem Willows Park.


It's hard to put into words just how much this place means to me. One part of me wants to share it with the world so everyone can enjoy it and have fun. But the other part of me wants to be selfish and hide it away in my pocket or something so no one else can have my happy place. Which is impossible I know. But I can dream, right? ;) 

Generations of families have been enjoying the shady willow trees and concessions here since the late 1800's. It's practically a staple for North Shore families to visit over the summer. There is something for everyone at the park! Whether you come to play some of the old-school arcade games, go for a stroll down by the water, play on the curiously hard mini-golf course (yes they  have a full 18 hole mini-golf course), or if you just want to have a BBQ or picnic, you can do it all and more! The only real downer about this place is that they're only open seasonally between late April and mid-October. But that is to be expected since the park is situated right on Salem Harbor. Playing Skee-ball in 30 degree weather is probably no fun at all ;). See, you October-only tourists might be missing out on one of the best parts of Salem right here. 


I have many fond memories of the Willows, especially ones involving my Nana. When I was younger, my family would always make  it a point to come to the Willows at least twice every year. Everyone would arrive around opening time and we'd have a little picnic lunch before we went to play all the games and go on the rides. As a kid, it was all about the games and the tickets and the prizes of course! But now that i'm older, I've grown to appreciate the full experience. The sea breeze, the food, the atmosphere, everything. Sadly, the family trips don't happen as much anymore. Everyone is a sicker, older and now without Nana it doesn't really feel the same. But Yeti and I have been trying to do our part to keep the tradition alive. We held our wedding celebration here as well as our first anniversary/my 30th birthday party. (Thankfully, Nana was still there for those :) ). 



And that's partly how my fondness for Salem began. I always knew as a kid coming to Salem meant fun, happy times were on their way! As a teen, I found more reasons to love the city from all the cool spots to hang out and places to eat. Finally as an adult I realized what it meant to have a happy place and for me that special spot was Salem. To be able to share that spot with Yeti and with all of you MAKES me happy! Helping others see the fun and beauty in this place is the whole point of this blog series :). 

I hope I can reach at least one of you October visitors with this. Come on up and see the rest of what Salem has to offer. Outside of the Downtown area ;).  

No comments:

Post a Comment